Iranian negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said on Tuesday, August 18, that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States meets Tehran’s conditions under an interim agreement reached in June.
Qalibaf said Iran wants the U.S. to lift its blockade of Iranian ports and oil sanctions, release Iran’s frozen assets, and stop threats and military operations against the country. The June 17 agreement later broke down over disagreements involving control of the strategic waterway.
U.S. President Donald Trump declared the deal over on July 7, while Iran later said it was suspended. The Strait of Hormuz is a key global energy route, with about a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas previously passing through it.


